Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Post-Anit-Counter #25

I have been a skateboarder for a decade as long as I growing my hair, playing guitar, enjoying woman, and rocking out. I have never gotten very good as a skater but I enjoy what I can do, what I can land. There was a time when I would launch myself of an eight stair and put myself right there on the line between ho-ya and hospital. Any more I try to limit it to four or five stairs and gaps under six feet but I do still find time for a good thrash session from time to time.

Most people do not understand why some one my age, whom is not a professional, would still throw themselves off and down stuff. Well the simple answer is that you can not beat the feeling of satisfaction that come from catching a switch nollie pop shove-it off a four stair and rolling away. Some people find more fun in running up ten flights of stairs the to roll down one. I am not that kind of person. My shins have seen a thousand knots, a million bumps, and enough rocks and asphalt to pave a driveway. Just taking a good fall is so therapeutic why go to the chiropractor when you can just as easily fall down some stairs. Picture this, your are going along at a good clip then all the sudden you hit this tiny little pebble, one that you would never usually notice, it bites your wheel and in that moment you only have milliseconds to decide how best to take a fall. What if you are bombing a hill and out of nowhere there is a huge crack in the pavement, it is to late to ollie over it and now all you can do is tuck and roll. Skating really lets you know how fast your brain can comprehend a situation, give you all the variables, and then pick your way out all of this in a split second.

It would be nice if the University of Southern Indiana campus was not smaller then my mothers yard. Then I could take SK8board to school just to get around school in a timely fashion and not shearly for fashion. I have seen huge campuses where people have to either schedule time to get from one class to another or the have to ride a bike or ankles be ware a skateboard. I hate seeing all these kids in globe shirts, Birdhouse hats, Element sweatshirts, and/or Etenies shoes. To me all these people are sheep and they are the sole reason why I do not advertise that I am a skater by the brands of shirt I wear. I am kind of jealous I guess because all of these want a be gangsta, rocker, any thing on television, new wave, new country kids can wear anything they want. The can get away with a AC/DC shirt, Phat Farm, South Pole, Jenco, Hillfiger, Old Navy, Nike, Puma, Addias, AE, PSW, Tapout, Throw Craz, Zoo York, DC, and any other brand they can lay their company stealing hands on. It is getting to the point where you cannot tell anything about someone by what they are wearing. What does that leave me with Perry Ellis and Armani, fine then I take it and bow out gracefully, if I have to, I guess.

I am the most punk rock person in any room and most of the time you cannot ever tell, and that is the way I like it. Why should I let you be able to look from across the room and tell who I am or what I am into. If you want to quiz me on splatter core or spackling just come up to me and ask me, bring it on. I have never owned a black leather jacket or a pair of Dr. Martins but I can call out more underground metal or obscure punk rock then Dez Chapman himself. I learned a long time ago that it is not what is on your shirt, it is what is under your shirt. My one pet peeves is that people might look at me and see "hippie" there is not enough pot smoke in the world to make me agree with some of these no-wing, flip-flop wearing, go green, euro-vegan, postanticounter want-to-be revolutionarieists sheep.

No dinks, preps, hicks, gangstas, mods, goths, beboppers, hiphoppers, b-girls, b-boys, folkies, or any one else was harmed during the writing of this paper.

No comments: