Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Con #13

There is little guidance I can offer on how to start college effectively, since my entry was fraught with missteps, sidesteps, and back steps. Starting college is processes that that includes tons of paperwork, miles of leg work, and enough worry to last in to your junior year. With all the "goings on around" it is surprising that more people do not fall through the cracks. With lost paper work comes lost ambition and that leads to loss of time or even the loss of a semester. There are ways to avoid all of this but I am just now figuring out how I would do it all over again.
When I decided that it was time for me to go back to school, I started to notice all of these commercial for loan money and commercial that try to trick you in to accepting some kind of loan. I do not know for sure but I, kind of think, that they are trying to scam people. Are the loan companies easier to pay back? Do they have a better interest rate? Should I have investigated them, before hand? These are all questions that I have had since I enrolled. I noticed that on the Black Entertainment Network channel that they have more commercials geared towards college students then all the other channels put together. This might be because U.N.C.F. is trying to get there number up and to justify all the television promotions, that they put out there.First, when enrolling get as much information as possible, read it, learn it, know it, this for me was, just tedious banter going on in circles with no end but, it is information you need to know. If your are lucky you might have some one in your corner of the enrollment ring, like a friend or a friend of a friend, someone that can help guide you through the maze red tape. In my case this was a six-year senior that just added more trouble than he was worth.Most people would think that the easy way out is through the admissions office or the financial aid office. In a perfect office world this would be a true statement but it was not in my case. I have spent the better part of a dozen hours in those office's because I was never told every little thing that I had to do and in what order. Every visit would go the same way, with me getting directions and following them exactly the way they were laid out in front of me, only to find out later that I had been told the wrong thing. It continued on like this for weeks with me being told to go here and then finding out that these people had nothing to do with this and those people had nothing to do with that.If I were a harsh or rash man this would of rubbed me the wrong way but I understand the concept of the easy answer although it gets me every time. The easy answer idea is that when someone asks you something and you just point in some direction and the questioner will mindlessly drown on this way or that. It is also referred to as the wild goose formula for riding yourself of some unwanted attention or situation. This can also be used on yourself, like when you white lie yourself out of a family event like a trip to Branson, Missouri.So in summery do not look to the desk help as help, look at them as secretaries whom make appointments with people that can answer your questions, people that can help. This is the only way to avoid the pointless onslot of information from someone that is not qualified to dispense it. We can all take a lesson from this and it is that you should not take information to heart or mind from an operator, counter person, or any one else that does not have an office with a door. If we can come together as a people to stop the b*llsh*t we will all have more time, a better everyday attitude, and a better standard of life.

No comments: