Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Shoe Size #11

I like to think of myself as a world traveler, although the wet foot-dry foot policy would say that I have never been out of the country. I have seen much of the world, much of the U.S., and more people then I could ever count. Since I turned eighteen I have lived I eight states and twelve cities all on the east coast. I have lived in Knoxville at the warren house apartments on Ten Mile road while I waited for a job at the Oakridge facility, a nuclear research facility. I lived New Johnsonville, both in Tennessee, and worked at a Dupont plant, building a air separator that turned regular air in to bottled gasses like argon, helium, and got to hang out with some Germans that had came over with the machine and was there to make sure that we installed it right. I built a hanger for the navy in Brunswick Maine that housed a squadron of these planes that have a bump on the under side that was for looking for submarines although they never found one in American waters. There in Brunswick they done their cold weather training and there would be guys repelling form helicopters and jets taking off all day, I even was even with in rock throwing distance to Air Force One, most of the time they fly in to Portsmith New Hampshire, but for some Reason on this day they flew in there. I worked for Compaction of America in Paris TX, and for a Kimberly Clark also in Texas. I built a coal separating plant in Batavia Ohio, and one in Henderson Ky, and almost got arrested at Oktoberfest, for being drunk under aged and asking where how to get to Bolivia instead of Batavia. The Compaction of America was in Kawani Ill, and that town had the most nasty water I have ever had it was so bad that at restaurants they would ask if you wanted ice. For me this has left me with the urge to go back and see these places again. The last place I lived was Palm Beach Gardens Florida. I was there last winter from November to February, helping my oldest brother in his job. Most people say “oh ya West Palm Beach” when ever to refer to palm beach, but there are four palm beaches. The first is Palm Beach is right on the beach and is almost an island. Palm Beach down town has more banks then I have ever seen in my life, in one place. They are grand building, looking more like mansions than banks. With names you cannot pronounce, from countries you cannot spell. Drive down any street and your bound to run in to a Ferrari Dealer, Armani clothing store, there are two Armani one high priced one and an Armani discount store, the cheese cake factory, and tons of people. There is all he nightlife you would ever want. Going west from there you come to West Palm Beach this is past the intercostals waterway and is still ritzy but what I loved about the beaches is that a S Class Mercedes does not even turn one head on the street, when around here people think they are shiting in high cotton with a new corolla. People need to take a step back and look not at themselves but at the world around. When all you can see is the next step in front of you, your perception is nil and your world shrinks to the size of a footprint, the world is not measured in shoe size.

No comments: