Monday, March 26, 2007

Greater Expectations #19

The expectation of college professors and high school teachers can varie little or a lot depending on the questions we ask. If we ask whom do you think more fondly of, I believe most people would pick nether and most of the time they would answer that the teacher they think most fondly of is an elementary school teacher. Some white haired old lady that never wore any thing with a pattern and no bright colors. The two things that I miss about elementary school is the naps. It is kind of the same I see people asleep everyday at the University of Southern Indianan.One of the differences that I have noticed is that college professors seem to be more distant. I have not been engaged much by the college professors I have had. None of them has asked how my day is going or how may weekend went. One reason this could be is that our time, as students, is limited to one semester with the one professor.In high school at the start of class we would discuss current event and news stories. This is helpful in discerning who people are and what they think of the world around them. This is one of the best ways to get to know someone, by getting some ones opinion. This is something that I miss getting that little bit of insight into some one. But with fifty minute classes I can see where there is not enough time to chit chat or have open panel discussion about topics of the day.High school teachers expected you to be there every day and college professors seem not to care. But if you happen to miss the same class seven time I think they drop you from the class. My last two years of high school was in Kentucky, the year was ninety-seven and ninety-eight I think, but the point I am getting at is that those two years the state of Kentucky implemented this rule that for every day you miss after a certain amount that they would start docking you points off your grades. I was never the best student in high school but I always passed until this rule went in to effect. This caused me to drop out because no one wants to attend the eleventh grade three times. The reason why I was absent was that my girlfriend at the time was eighteen and a home owner. When she was younger she never got along with her mother so when she turned seventeen her grandparents whom were slumlords or landlords, which ever you prefer, gave her a house if she would stay in school. Another reason why I missed so much school was because she was two years my senior and when she graduated I put her on my emergency card list. So when I was at school I would be sitting there and over the loud speaker would come "Chris get your thing and report to the lobby" and we would go to her house and drink and watch the Animaniacs.High school teacher expect to mold you and college professors expect you to be molded. Since it has been eight or so since i have been in school i have mold my self but not into a student. Best intentions are usually just that intentions, intentions that do not come to fruition. If I could start my college life over again my expectation for myself, I would hope, would be realized.

No comments: